Networking HIV/AIDS Community of South Africa (NACOSA), a dynamic NGO in the HIV/AIDS field, is inviting suitably qualified candidates within South Africa for the following position to be taken up at Century City office - Cape Town
The position will support the Global Fund Finance Manager in administering financial records and preparing information for donor reporting. To ensure compliance of donor requirements, the role will also closely monitor sub-recipients financial reports, governance structures and internal controls, providing mentoring and capacity building interventions to strengthen the recipient partners control environment.
- Use an accounting package (e.g. Quickbooks / Pastel) and Sub-Recipient Excel financial reports to prepare and initiate disbursements for approval.
- Use an accounting package (e.g. Quickbooks / Pastel) to record disbursements to SRs and expenditure reported.
- Prepare management, donor and audit reports to assist with reconciliations, expense analysis and budget monitoring and preparation as well as the monitoring of receivables, prepaid and payable accounts;
- Prepare adjusting entries with appropriate supporting documentation, as necessary;
- Assist with monthly and fiscal year-end closing including revaluations, accruals and adjustments for foreign exchange differences as necessary.
Quality control processes of sub-recipients
- Regular assessment of the governance and financial environments and internal controls of sub-recipients. Recommending practical solutions for the sub-recipient and monitoring that the recommendations are being implemented.
- Maintaining a database (tracking sheet) of sub-recipient financial reports, including but not limited to:
-Date and completeness when a report is received.
-Communicating with all stakeholders (sub-recipient, financial manager and programme manager) regarding late and incomplete submissions.
-Date and validity when a report has been reviewed.
-Communicating with all stakeholders (sub-recipient, financial manager and programme manager) regarding ineligible expenses, financial risks and other matters identified.
- Perform procedures to provide assurance that expenditure claims by sub-recipients are valid and accurate, with attention to:
-Analysing budgeted expenditure versus actual expenditure;
-Substantive procedures on a sample of reported expenditure;
-Maintain the asset and consumable registers
-Prepare a report of findings to be communicated to management of NACOSA and the sub-recipient
- Specific attention to monitor compliance of the donor requirement relating to the appropriate use of a separate dedicated donor bank account. Prepare appropriate bank reconciliations to ensure that inter-account transfers are done timeously.
- Prepare a payment requisition with supporting evidence, including a calculation of a reasonable disbursement being recommended to fund the sub-recipient for the next month.
- Meet with the programme staff to discuss performance (finance against M&E) and any relevant finance findings that could impact on performance and / or escalated by the programme specialist.
- Provide written feedback to the sub-recipient relating to the report that was received and any findings need to be clearly communicated with recommendations.
- Monitor the grant conditions (e.g. compliance with audit requirements, reporting deadlines)
- Maintain a permanent file for each sub-recipient, containing the contract, budget, bank details and any changes etc.
Mentoring and Training
- To identify and recommend sub-recipients and topics that require mentoring and training.
- Prepare a mentoring and training plan for sub-recipients where weaknesses have been identified via assessments, monthly reviews or other sources.
- Monitor adherence to the mentoring / training plan and to communicate feedback on progress.
- Provide on-site and off-site support to the sub-recipients in the form of training, mentoring and capacity building.
Audit and other
- Assist with requests for information by management, NACOSA's auditors, donors, and sub-recipient auditors
- To provide recommendations to improve existing work processes
- Assist with the development of finance training manuals, presentations and guidelines
- Conduct internal audit / compliance visits at selected sub-recipients
- Perform close-out procedures on sub-recipients where the grant agreement has ended
Requirements•A degree in Accounting
- CIPA or similar registration highly advantageous
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years' experience in accounting
- Regular domestic travel.
- Advanced computer literacy in MS Excel, and basic Word and Power Point, E-mails, Internet.
- Fluent in English and a local language (written and spoken).
- Proven experience in mentoring and training.
- Sound interpersonal relations and customer service orientation
- 'Customer' focused - Proactively anticipates customers' needs and, when appropriate, educates them about relevant programs and services. Follows through and solves customer problems while seeking regular feedback.
- Knowledge of Systems & Tools - Review governance and finance policies of sub-recipients, clearly understand how these functions and practices can impact the business.
•Communication skills - Effective verbal communication and written communication skills to send clear and consistent messages. Uses innovative modes of communication to simplify understanding and facilitate teaching.
•Confidence / assertiveness - comfortable in ability, skills and knowledge to engage with senior management and board members of NACOSA and sub-recipients.
•Detail orientation - Can integrate information from a variety of sources and analyse information to understand root causes of problems. Audits data frequently to ensure compliance.
•Prioritization - Takes accountability and responds to challenges in a timely manner. Uses own initiative to drive forward and collaborate as a team player.
•Process Management - Proactively identifies gaps in existing processes and delivers simplified improved solutions. Demonstrates a willingness to try new things.
•Team work - can collaborate effectively with team members.
•Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks consider your application as unsuccessful. NACOSA reserves the right not to make any appointment in this position.
•NACOSA respects the privacy of its stakeholders and will treat all personal information provided in line with our recruitment policy and in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act.