Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet's resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Hivos is implementing two related projects within the Freedom & Accountability Cluster. These are ' empowering informal civil society in the Eastern Africa border regions' project and the Community Media Fund. The 'the empowering informal civil society in the Eastern Africa border regions' project seeks to contribute to a sustainable pastoralist civil society through the use of technology in piloting and building systems of community-centred communication to assure the inclusion and participation of borderland citizens in local development and related decision-making and amplify the positive influence of hard- to- reach connectors in the civil societies of proximity. The Community Media Fund seeks to enhance citizen access to relevant information that enables them to understand business and finance principles and empowers them to support policies and practices that impact inclusive economic and human development in Africa.
Both projects seek to promote transparency, accountability, good governance and effective public participation in governance processes. They focus on marginalized communities and will work through the community media, civil society organizations, relevant government agencies, and the informal civil society and among pastoralists. Core project activities will include partner identification, grant making & grants management, action research, organizing grantee learning events & Community of Practice sessions and project reporting.
Hivos thus seeks an experienced Programs Officer to oversee the two projects.
Grants Management ;
- Prepare and publicize calls for proposals
- Assess received applications
- Undertake grantee institutional assessments
- Prepare grantee contracts
- Monitor grants implementation
- Organize capacity building exercises in undertaking community dialogues and debate using film/video techniques, use of mobile technology among pastoralists etc.
- Coordinating training of community media journalists in financial & investigative journalism
- Organise grantee learning events and community of practice sessions
- Organise community dialogue sessions
- Prepare timely project reports
- Disseminate reports to relevant stakeholders
- A Post Graduate Degree in Social Sciences or a Bachelor's Degree in Social Sciences
- Track record in project management and administration
- Experience in working with small and nascent organizations
- Experience in working in remote and marginalized areas
- Strong knowledge of key transparency, accountability and freedom of expression issues
- Knowledge of key media and community development issues
- Strong networks within the media fraternity (journalists, government, media development CSOs, commercial and community media houses)
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- A self-starter, ambitious and self-motivated person
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to make fair and objective decisions
- Great organizational and planning skills
- Good administrative skills
- Ability to act on own initiative and to organise, plan and prioritise own workload to meet deadlines
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team